Cultural events and festivals have as long a tradition at Schloss Wissen, as the castle itself. In the imposing castle courtyard, in the historic halls and in the generous park area surrounding the castle, festivals and concerts regularly take place, attracting visitors from the region, as well as from beyond. From an intimate family concert, to the open-air festival in the park, young and old visitors have the possibility of enjoying the special atmosphere of Schloss Wissen. In the castle chapel – the heart of the castle complex – built towards the end of the 19. Century, regular prayer evenings, worship days, as well as holy masses take place.
Schloss Wissen looks forward to a good cultural year and to guests from near and far.
Since 2006, “small music festivals” take place, organised by the “Kulturraum Niederrhein”. Furthermore, children and young families look forward to the Family Concerts in the historic halls. These concerts have been taking place for the last two decades. From November until March, reputable groups make music for and with children and on three Sunday afternoons, they introduce them to the instruments.
Park festival – cancelled due to CORONA restrictions!
A special highlight on the second Sunday in July of each year is the popular Park Festival at Schloss Wissen. Many thousands of visitors have already used the opportunity to explore the castle, the chapel and the historic halls during the Park Festival.
A diverse programme is offered, including a contemplative mass, an all-day children’s programme and various market stalls. The Park Festival takes place from 10:00 until 18:00 at Schloss Wissen.
Friends of the Historical Ensemble Wissen
The registered association was founded in 2003 and committed itself to the maintenance of the historic castle complex. The castle complex, comprising the outer bailey, main building, castle chapel, grain mill and boye (former servants’ quarters), is complemented by the castle park, the castle avenue and the surrounding landscapes. The donations received since its founding in 2003 could be utilised especially for urgently needed exploratory- and restoration work to the foundations and interior wall paintings of the castle chapel.
The castle chapel today still forms the heart of the castle complex. Under the authority of Count Max and his wife, Countess Therese von Loë, the Cologne master builder, Vinzenz Statz, built the chapel in the years 1875 – 1878. The wall paintings and the interior fittings followed later.
Through extensive restoration works, the sinking of the chapel foundations could be stopped and many of the elaborate paintings could be laboriously repaired. During the course of these restorations, the chapel organ was also freed of dirt and rust from the past thirteen decades. Today, the castle chapel once again shines in splendour, coming very close in its original appearance.